The award of the 2012 Olympic Games to the City of London has once again made the Track and Field Athletic events the centrepiece of the whole Games and, in the lead-up to the Games, will put the sport at the forefront of the public’s mind. The location of the Olympic Park where the games will be staged will be to the North and East of the City of London. Woodford Green Athletic Club with Essex Ladies, situated nearby at Ashton Playing Fields, Woodford Bridge, will aim to be at the heart of the whole event, not only with the hope that one or more of our current club members will be competing for their country but also by being involved as a supporting club to visiting overseas athletes and by probably providing some officials at the Track and Field events. It has been proposed that a number of tracks will be designated as pre-Olympic Training Centres and it is possible that our home track will be amongst them.
We are actively seeking a long term sponsor of the club either as a single major sponsor, a prime sponsor with smaller sub-sponsors or as one of a number of group sponsors. The award of the Olympic Games to our area is giving great exposure to the sport of Track and Field Athletics and this would be of great advantage to any business seeking to use the sport and our club as exposure.
We would offer key sponsors the following commercial exposure:
- Sponsors name on club vests where the brand name of the main sponsor will be on the club vest worn at all the major club events as well as worn by club members at national events.
- Advertising space on our club web site www.wgel.org.uk
- Advertising at the club home track, subject to negotiations with Redbridge Council
- Advertising exposure at all our home events and where possible on away matches especially in the British Athletics League and the UK Womens Athletic League.
Sponsorship of the whole meeting or individual events at our home matches during the season which would include the following:
- Combined Events (pentathlon and decathlon) which would incorporate the Essex County Championships
- National UK Young Athletes League
- Woodford Open Graded Meetings (held regularly during weekdays throughout the summer months)
- London Inter Club Challenge (Track & Field)
- A sponsorship opportunity also arises with the WG&EL Road and Cross Country Team in all age Groups competing in the Metropolitan Cross Country League (Greater London) and at regional and national level throughout the winter season
- Regular press coverage (local) throughout the summer and winter season
- Community-based activities connected with young athletes especially with the development of potential Olympians
We would be happy to invite any interested parties to visit us at Ashton Playing Fields. Our club coaching nights are on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. This would give an opportunity to show and explain what we do for the youngsters in our club, introduce you to some of the coaches and meet members of our club committee.
Woodford Green with Essex Ladies is one of the pre-eminent clubs in the UK and is celebrating its centenary throughout 2008-2009, with participation from all members and sections of the club. Local and national exposure is expected from these events and the club sponsors will receive considerable exposure.
In the 2008 Track & Field season we were second in the Premier Division of the UK National Track and Field Championship at the Senior Men’s level, having won the championship in 2005, finished second in 2006 and third in 2007. As a consequence of winning the Premier Division in 2005 we represented Great Britain in Division 2 of the European Club Championships, where we were champions in 2006.
Apart from the senior men's team, we have: a team in Division 2 of the UK Women's League; a team in the Southern Men’s League Division 1; and two teams of both boys and girls in the National Youth and the National Junior Leagues. We also have a thriving cross country section (we are the 2007/2008 men's senior Essex champions and South of England CC men's bronze medalists) and a road running team where we compete regionally and nationally in relays and open road races. We cater for all ages and have many veterans (over-40s). We also have some 40 current international athletes amongst our members, not only representing the UK but also some Commonwealth and other countries. Many of these compete on the international Grand Prix circuit.
We are based at the Ashton Playing Fields Sports Centre in Woodford Bridge, where we rent the track from Redbridge Council and where we have our own club house and an indoor training centre - these last two buildings being our own property, having been constructed from club funds with external financial support. There is also a conditioning room (weight training) for our athletes which is also equipped from our funds.
As you can imagine, maintaining an amateur athletic club requires considerable administrative support which comes entirely from our own club members and parents, who volunteer to manage the club's teams and officiate at meetings during both the summer and the winter seasons. All our club officials work on a voluntary basis.
Most of our funding comes from the club membership fees, grants and donations which enable us to maintain our status as one of the best clubs in the country. However, we are looking for long-term financial support to maintain development at grass roots level with our junior teams. With the award of the Olympic Games there has been a great influx of members at junior levels (80% of new members). We are now finding that we will need to hire additional coaches to meet this demand, and part of any sponsorship would be used to assist in youth development through coaching and the purchase of equipment.